It’s officially the best time of year, in my opinion at least! Fall is here, and we at Down To Earth Cuisine welcome it with open arms.
Of course, we all have different things that come to mind when we think of this time of year. Maybe it’s the crisp breeze that has us reaching for our favorite sweater, the abundance of apples and pumpkins that draw us straight to our favorite orchard, or those cool nights that have us craving a warm, comforting meal.
The cooler months of fall are a great time of year for our favorite root vegetables, pumpkins and squash! Today, we want to share a couple of our fall favorites! Are you ready for some Curried Pumpkin Soup and Roasted Carrots with Peppered Honey and Farmers Cheese? Ya, me too!
Now, when it comes to shopping for fresh and local ingredients, we recommend PCC.
At PCC you will find everything you need to master these recipes!
Curried Pumpkin Soup
- 1 lb Pumpkin or Squash, cut into 1-inch squares (about 4 cups)
- 1 Small Shallot, peeled and left whole
- 2 Tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 3 oz Sherry Vinegar
- 1 cup Half and Half
- 3 cup Vegetable Stock
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- Pre-heat oven to 375* F.
- Toss pumpkin and shallots in olive oil sprinkle with curry powder to coat. Roast for 20-25 minutes. It is done when you can easily pierce the pumpkin with a fork.
- Add roasted pumpkin and remaining ingredients to the blender. You may need to do this in batches. Do not fill more than half-way, as hot items will expand in the blender.
- Start the blender on low speed and increase the speed as the mixture begins to smooth. (You may need to add more half-and-half, depending on your texture preference.)
- Puree until smooth and salt to taste.
- Serve with roasted pumpkin seeds or croutons.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Honey Peppered Carrots with Homemade Farmer’s Cheese.
- 1 Quart Whole Milk
- 1 Quart Heavy Cream
- 1 Quart Buttermilk
20 Sprigs Dill
- 1 Bunch Green Onion
1 Bunch Parsley
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Salt
1/3 Cup Honey
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 4-5 Bunches Rainbow Carrots
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a large stockpot, over medium heat, add whole milk and heavy cream.
- Tie herbs together with twine (for easy retrieval) and add to the pot.
- Slowly bring the mixture up to 180*F (by slowing bringing to temp, you will yield more cheese). Once you start to see steam form, you can add the 1 tbsp of salt. Slowly pour in the buttermilk and do not stir. Bring the mixture back up to 185*F. You will start to see the curds forming.
- Allow to cool for 15-30 minutes, then carefully remove the herbs. Gently remove curds with hand strainer or slotted spoon and place them on a sheet tray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the honey and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Toss carrots in olive oil, salt, and pepper. In a large saute pan, saute carrots for 5 minutes or until they start to brown. Transfer carrots to a baking sheet and roast in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until desired texture.
- Toss carrots in peppered honey and serve with the farmer’s cheese.